CHURUBUSCO – The past school year at Churubusco High School had many memorable athletic moments.
The senior athletes held a critical role in all the teams’ successes that will be etched into Churubusco fans for a long time. Churubusco held its senior athletic awards late May.
The following athletes received awards that evening:
• U.S. Army Distinguished Athlete: Jarett Kilgore (football and wrestling)
• Fall Top Female Athlete: Mallory Pearson (volleyball)
• Fall Top Male Athlete: Nash Wood (football)
• Winter Top Female Athlete: Stacia Fester (basketball)
• Winter Top Male Athlete: Jalen Paul (basketball)
• Spring Top Female Athlete: Mallory Pearson (softball)
• Spring Top Male Athlete: Jacob Eyer (track)
• Best Female Teammate: Cassidy Yant (basketball)
• Best Male Teammate: Carson Gatton (football)
• Evan Morris Award: Mallory Pearson (basketball, softball and volleyball)
• Lions Club Top Female Athlete: Mallory Pearson
• Lions Club Top Male Athlete: Sam Richards (football)
Mallory Pearson racked up four awards throughout the night. Pearson had 360 kills, 28 blocks and 398 digs in her senior volleyball campaign. She finished her senior softball season with 84 hits, 47 RBIs and scored 50 runs.
Nash Wood had 118 total tackles and 4.5 sacks his senior season on football defense. Wood averaged 40.5 yards in his two kickoff returns. He also rushed for 246 yards on offense.
Stacia Fester averaged 9.8 points and 2.1 steals a game during her memorable basketball senior season.
Jalen Paul averaged 22.1 points, 8.4 assists and 3.8 steals a game his senior basketball season. Paul’s stellar performance helped Churubusco win its first sectional title in their 99-year history.
Jacob Eyer set a school track record in the 1600-meter race in 2015. He also participated in the 800-meter, 3200-meter and various different relays in his career.
Cassidy Yant scored 8.8 points and had 7.1 rebounds a game in her 22 appearances her senior basketball season
Defensive tackle Carson Gatton had 71 total tackles and 2.5 sacks his senior football season. He also recorded a touchdown at the receiver position.
Running back Sam Richards had rushed for 869 yards, 12 touchdowns in 93 carries this past football season. He had 16 total tackles and recorded an interception on defense. Richards also recorded 222 yards on special teams return.