“We hope to attract new blood donors as well as our faithful givers through this promotion,” said Allison Graber, communications specialist for the American Red Cross. “We appreciate the partnership of the Haunted Cave and are excited to offer a ticket to each donor during this special blood drive,” Graber continued.
Advances in medical care and an aging population have increased the need for blood. Steady and consistent blood donations are key to a strong blood supply.
You can help save lives this Halloween by participating in the inaugural Halloween Blood Drive. All who come to donate will receive one free admission to the Haunted Cave and a candy treat bag. In addition, all blood and platelet donors in October will be entered to win a weekend getaway for two to the Inn and Spa in Cedar Falls, Ohio and a zip-line tour through Hocking Hills Canopy Tours.
Donor center hours and locations are as follows:
* Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
· Monday, October 25 and Tuesday, October 26, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
· Wednesday, October 27 and Thursday, October 28, 12 noon – 6 p.m.
· Friday, October 29 and Saturday, October 30, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
· Sunday, October 31, platelet donation only – call 480-8299 for an appointment.
* Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the south lobby of Lutheran Hospital)
· Monday, October 25 through Wednesday, October 27, 12 noon – 6 p.m.
· Thursday, October 28 through Saturday, October 30, 6 a.m. – 12 noon.
· Sunday, October 31, by appointment only – call 480-8170
How to Donate Blood
To schedule an appointment to donate please call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org for more information. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in some states), meet weight and height requirements (110 pounds or more, depending on their height) and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. Please bring your Red Cross blood donor card or other form of positive ID when you come to donate.
About the American Red Cross
The Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region serves northern and central Indiana and northwestern Ohio, and needs to collect about 500 units of blood a day to meet patient need in more than 60 hospitals. In addition to providing blood to our community, the American Red Cross also provides relief to victims of disaster, trains millions in lifesaving skills, serves as a communication link between U.S. military members and their families, and assists victims of international disasters or conflicts.
The need is constant. The gratification is instant. Give blood.